Paul believes in professionalism and in providing prompt and effective advice, advocacy, and services to the firm’s clients. He enjoys litigating intellectual property cases and handling difficult patent prosecution cases, like those relating to computer-implemented inventions.
He has proven himself a serious and tenacious litigator in the Federal Court, the Federal Court of Appeal, the British Columbia Supreme Court, the British Columbia Court of Appeal, and, earlier in his career, the Ontario courts. Paul has acted as an officer of the court in his capacity as an Independent Supervising Solicitor on the execution of an Anton Piller Order.
Fluently bilingual, Paul easily pleads in French when the need arises.
An avid sportsman, Paul was a competitive curler in his younger years, dabbled in skydiving and paragliding, and presently plays hockey or squash a few times a week. He also enjoys tennis whenever friends are available and is a novice kiteboarder.
Membership & Affiliations
- Consistently recognized by Best Lawyers for Canada, Intellectual Property Law
- Registered Canadian patent and trademark agent
- Authorized to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office in patent and trademark matters
- Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia (P. Eng.)
- Professional Engineers Ontario (P. Eng.)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Patent and Trademark Association of British Columbia (Chair, 1992-93)
- Litigation Committee, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (misc. 1995-2012)
- Patent Legislation Committee, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (misc. 2006-2011)
- International Trademark Association, Co-chair, Trans Pacific Partnership Sub-committee (Free Trade Areas, 2014-2015)
- Board of Directors, Association des Juristes D’Expression Française de la Colombie Britannique, 2016-2018